Terminator 2: Hands of Fate http://fanedit.org/ifdb/media/reviews/photos/thumbnail/300x300s/fc/39/5c/_t2-hof-front-134189704429.jpg
Note: This fanedit was originally released in August 2009. The HD version released November 2013 replaces that.
- NTSC DVD-9
- AVCHD (DVD-5)
ThrowgnCpr FE trailers
* new title sequence
* add throwgncpr to intro credit
* fixed bendy-knife stunt error when Arnie gets stabbed in bar.
* created completely new audio for “Bad to the Bone” scene
* cut “How’s the knee” line. It contradicts the notion of her behaving for several * months. However I kept the most of the scene (up until the next cut), because I think it’s a good intro to Sarah, and shows how much the events have affected and changed her.
* cut SE scene where med students beat Sarah to take pills
* trimmed first dream sequence to start with Kyle passing the doorway (cut talk about their son, and hugging). He is now just a quiet messenger.
* cut “model citizen” line by doctor. It just seems like tacked on cheese.
* recut shot where truck jumps/crashes into canal to fix windshield continuity error
* cut motorcycle jump in dirtbike / truck / motorcycle canal chase scene. trimmed chase scene a bit.
* cut SE scene where T1000 goes to check dog collar
* reinstate scene where T1000 raids John's bedroom
* trim scene where John makes Arnie do tricks in parking lot *** different than v1 fanedit
* cut part where med student/guard licks Sarah’s face after locking her down. I felt that this was completely unnecessary. Her brutal escape is now driven by her focus and determination, and never really includes any hint of revenge.
* reframed scene where T1000 approaches group in hospital, to remove continuity error where female guard on floor should be.
* trimmed SE scene where John convinces Sarah not to destroy chip after removing it from head. Cut the line about him being his friend. If he wants to truly be taken serious as a leader, then he doesnt want to be buddies with the terminator.
* Removed John teaching Arnie jive-talk in the car. This was my least favorite scene where John tries to teach Arnie about human emotions and behavior, and I find it just a tad too cheesy. This also allows “Hasta La Vista, Baby” to be removed from the film.
* hybrid gas station scene - tightened up a bit. less goofy smiling *** different than v1 fanedit
* cut “No Problemo” after Arnie successfully starts truck
* cut “Trust me” right before Arnie shoots up cops from building
* cut “Hasta la vista, baby” prior to shooting frozen T1000 (audio cut only) Scene duration is still intact, but no speaking.
* removed audio for “I need a vacation”
* cut thumbs up at end
* cut SE happy ending
* completely new credits (to match exact style of original credits)
Great job on this one, really takes out those "hollywood" moments and keeps it more on par with the original highly recommend for fans of the series
Original review (2009 DVD):
First off, the A/V quality has been discussed plenty and all I will say is that it was as I expected. The concerns that have been raised are valid but it did not prevent me from enjoying the edit.
As far as the actual editing goes, I was very impressed. The cuts were logical and generally not noticeable (especially if you don't know what to look for). The reworked bad to the bone scene worked very well, and as was made obvious in the great bonus featurette, required a good deal of effort. I miss the "how's the knee" line but understand the reasoning. I really liked the trimmed first dream sequence. I kind of like the "model citizen" line but can understand why it went. Arnie's bike jump into the canal never bothered me that much but this edit handles it just fine (I agreed that it seemed obvious he was already heading down a slope and the jump wasn't necessary). No problemo, hasta la vista, need a vacation, thumbs up - all good cuts.
So all in all, I enjoyed this edit. It won't replace my Extreme DVD due to the A/V issues, but it was a worthwhile watch. And if Throw ever did a V2.0 with improved video and true 5.1? It would be a home run.
Updated Review (2013 HD mkv):
It's a home run!
The 720p mkv is rock solid in quality and the 5.1 sound is now true 5.1. The re-edits to the parking lot and gas station scenes work great. My one minor nitpick was the cutaway from the T-1000 giving Sarah the "no-no-no" finger wag when she runs out of ammo in the end factory scene - it was a bit obvious that something was cut there, and I personally would have just left it intact.
Well done, and thanks for creating this version. I plan on watching it again the next time I have a hankerin' for some T2 spankerin'.
Very enjoyable edit. The goal of removing the extra cheese was carried off very well. Removing the cringe worthy portions made it a much better film for our current time. The only negative I had was the the dialog channel seemed at a lower volume than the rest, but that maybe I should have fiddled with my amplifier more. Don't forget to view the Fanedit "making of" featurette. The editor explains all the steps he went through to clean up a scene and the difficulties involved. (such as inappropriate music polluting all of the audio channels) I like seeing the nuts and bolts of fanediting, it gives an appreciation of what is required to make these changes seamless.
I can loathe T2 no more. THIS edit is a must have! All the cuts are clean and keep the film flowing nicely. I would personally liked to see a few more things cut of the Terminator acting human, but you have removed plenty as it is. You MUST give this edit a watch! I am not sure why the score is so low for this, I am giving it a well deserved 10.
This is an excellent fan-fix. From the excellent integration of the new titles, to the overall tone created by the editor, this is what a fan-edit is all about.
As the editor points out, T2 is a classic, but that doesn't mean a nip/tuck can't provide some genuine improvements. Highlights include cutting of lots of cheese, especially bad to the bone and thumbs up, and including some scenes from the extended edition was a nice touch.
Not so highlights: Some of the cuts were quite noticeable, especially the 'I need a vacation' line, and a couple of others, but it didn't really matter too much. If the line annoyed you that much, have it out I say.
Well done on a great edit, and thanks for releasing in HD!