X-Files – Exordium http://fanedit.org/ifdb/media/reviews/photos/thumbnail/300x300s/a0/18/26/_exordium-minifront-134510213030.jpg
* added THX style FAN logo intro
* added Fox Fanfare intro
* added intro credits
* reframed from 4:3 fullscreen to 1.85:1 (16×9) widescreen
* cut Scully walking into FBI headquarters
* cut airplane scene
* cut some dialogue in car referencing medical examiner as possible suspect
* cut “I’m wired” line by Mulder
* removed some commercial fades
* cut confrontation at cemetery
* cut discussion of “father knowing about sons involvement in abductions” with Tracy at diner
* cut father/son reunion
* added Smoking Man in warehouse over dialogue from Mulder to phone conversation to heighten tension and aid transition
* cut credits to pilot
* cut theme intro to ‘Deep Throat’ episode
* integrated intro to ‘Fallen Angel’ before Mulder & Scully pnone call and intro of ‘Deep Throat’
* removed reference to crash happening in Wisconsin
* some panning and reframing to Mulder meeting Scully in bar – to remove episode credits
* lots of cropping/panning/editing to Mulder & Scully case discussion in bar – to remove episode credits
* cut crazy fly-fisherman
* added some nature sound effects & score over some cuts during Scully talking outside to smooth audio transition
* cut waitresses line “Quiet like a hummingbird” – This makes no sense. Hummingbirds are VERY vocal.
* cut kids from film. While they were good characters, they really served no purpose for this edit
* completely rebuilt audio with score and sound effects for night helocopter chase to accomodate loss of kids
* removed more obnoxious commercial fades
* cut reference to kids in hotel conversation
* cut kids leading mulder through fence. Mulder is not guided. He explores on his own.
* did I mention about removing commercial fades???
* had to cut some dialogue of Scully holding agent at gunpoint to remove kids from scene
* reworked end of Deep Throat (meeting between Mulder & Deep Throat at track) a bit
* trimmed some of Mulder’s dialogue from final meeting with Deep Throat (from Deep Throat episode).
* cut credits to ‘Deep Throat’
* cut intro credits to ‘Erlenmeyer Flask’
* lots of reframing to remove credits
* cut all local police scenes, and the search for the missing suspect
* cut actual murder scene of Dr. Berube
* arrgggggg, begone ye worthless commercial fades
* removed corny dialogue between Scully & Mulder about trust and faith.
* removed reference to Deep Throat meeting Scully before
* cut final phone call between Mulder & Scully. There is no talk now of shutting down the X-Files. It would have been way too soon to all happen (opening & closing) in 1 movie.
* removed end credits to Erlenmeyer Flask
* custom end credits
* many many more little cuts that aren’t listed. I probably forgot a lot
I've always been a huge fan of The X-Files, way back to the original broadcast run. I can even remember the promo spots before it aired - What's with the music? Who's the redhead? Aliens and other weird shit? Cool. I watched religiously each week. The source material is now almost 20 years old and I still think that this show is one of the best ever created. I watched this edit years ago and never left a proper review. I watched it again recently and and thought I should fix that.
A/V Quality: Cropping the 4:3 ratio to 16:9 inevitably reduces the video quality. However, the end justifies the means in this case. The edit looks like a movie, not a TV show. The picture looks a little dark and I did notice some stuttering in scenes with motion, but it was not unwatchable. I think the sacrifices made to make it 16:9 were worth it.
Visual editing: Great job with removing the commercial fades, but there were still too many fade in/outs for my liking. I did notice one errant frame in the scene with Skinner, Mulder and the CSM, but no real issues otherwise.
Audio editing: No jarring, hard cuts. Perfectly fine.
Narrative: The toughest thing with a TV to movie fanedit is removing the episodic nature of the source material. I don't think that this edit succeeds with that, at least through the first half or so of the edit. The second half flows much nicer and it feels like a real movie. There are some strange scenes that did not seem to serve the plot and some scenes where plot points are introduced and not resolved (what happened to the helicopter chasing Mulder and Scully? Who is the cop in the woods calling for the fire department?). I think further cutting could have been made.
Enjoyment: Despite my criticisms above, I really enjoyed this edit. It's one of the few fanedits I've watched more than once, so I guess that's something. Fans of the X-Files will love this. If you're new to the series this is the perfect introduction. The only question left is, where are parts 2-9?