• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

    Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moe_Syzlak said:
As expected Dune is now delayed. What wasn’t expected was the length of the delay, now not releasing for a full year. Lots of other shuffling as well, most notably The Batman.

I think in delaying their delay they missed out on other prime launch weekends which had been taken by other delayed films. It's a sad reality. However I am glad they are not moving towards a pay per view streaming release model al a Disney.
 
the cineworld cinemas here in my texas town dont start showing movies till 4pm
they used to be open all day.
they have only had a small handful of "new films"since opening.
AMC theaters has new deal where they get some profit from   PVOD, which means smaller window
of when the movie is at the actual theater.
the average cost of a ticket is 12-15 US bucks then you add another 15 fro popcorn and drink.
plus if you are a family or pay babysitter, then  spend gas to get there.
it makes more sense to stay home and buy or rent the movie on streaming platforms.
Just sad to see a decades old tradition dying off slowly.
 
jswert123456 said:
the cineworld cinemas here in my texas town dont start showing movies till 4pm
they used to be open all day.
they have only had a small handful of "new films"since opening.
AMC theaters has new deal where they get some profit from   PVOD, which means smaller window
of when the movie is at the actual theater.
the average cost of a ticket is 12-15 US bucks then you add another 15 fro popcorn and drink.
plus if you are a family or pay babysitter, then  spend gas to get there.
it makes more sense to stay home and buy or rent the movie on streaming platforms.
Just sad to see a decades old tradition dying off slowly.

I agree.. I am in Austin and drive by 2 theaters each day. There are hardly any cars in the parking lot anymore; it has been this way since they reopened.
 
plus when they re-opened, one of their many safety practices- was no more refills on drinks or popcorn
you had to buy another drink cup or popcorn tub. so gone are my Saturdays at the theater seeing 2 movies
 
jswert123456 said:
plus when they re-opened, one of their many safety practices- was no more refills on drinks or popcorn
you had to buy another drink cup or popcorn tub. so gone are my Saturdays at the theater seeing 2 movies

Huh.. Interesting, as I have not heard that. I did receive an email from Cinemark a few minutes ago regarding some free watch parties offered. You can easily ascertain they are hurting tremendously.
 
considering they are open only half a day, i can count on 1 hand the brand new 2020 movies they have gotten in.
and like if i purchase a seat to a show, the seat on either side of me is automatically blocked from being bought- per their new rules.
makes it hard for big group or family to sit together.

just slowly seeing the demise of a decades long form of entertainment.
 
jswert123456 said:
considering they are open only half a day, i can count on 1 hand the brand new 2020 movies they have gotten in.
and like if i purchase a seat to a show, the seat on either side of me is automatically blocked from being bought- per their new rules.
makes it hard for big group or family to sit together.

just slowly seeing the demise of a decades long form of entertainment.

I have that unsettling feeling as well but maybe the theaters will survive, as it would be truly sad to see them disappear.
 
IMO they were in deep trouble long before now, COVID's just accelerating the existing decline.  Your smaller art-house theatre may still survive, though, if they could clear the hurdle for digital projection a few years back.  But the outlook is grim all around.
 
blockbuster declined, and rebox and comfort of netflix rent came into play, then netflix essentially became streaming mostly
arthouse cinema may survive, but i think we will see a day where everything is streaming- but the cost will be a bit higher
i know in some cities it was mentioned there are costly yearly service already where you can view brand  new blockbusters on release day instead of going to cinema.
 
CatBus said:
IMO they were in deep trouble long before now, COVID's just accelerating the existing decline.  Your smaller art-house theatre may still survive, though, if they could clear the hurdle for digital projection a few years back.  But the outlook is grim all around.

I wholeheartedly agree - sadly, unfortunately.
 
jswert123456 said:
blockbuster declined, and rebox and comfort of netflix rent came into play, then netflix essentially became streaming mostly
arthouse cinema may survive, but i think we will see a day where everything is streaming- but the cost will be a bit higher
i know in some cities it was mentioned there are costly yearly service already where you can view brand  new blockbusters on release day instead of going to cinema.

I would not mind paying extra to watch movies at home, either. No distractions, hassles and the addition of subtitles would make it worth the added expense.
 
Home theater possibilities are also so good right now which also probably will hurt theaters eventually. Maybe not yet because it's not common enough but it might one day be.

Hell my projector and surround system looks and sounds at LEAST as good as the local theatets, i would actually say better in fact. And Neither the projector or the sound system were very expensive.

Granted the screen size is smaller so the projector doesn't have to do as much, but with the perspective of the room being smaller and being closer to the screen it "feels" the same.

Still though, there was always something cool about going to a cinema. Shame to see it dying out. Next time I have a movie party I might have trailers and such playing in the background before we start the movie just for fun.
 
Possessed said:
Home theater possibilities are also so good right now which also probably will hurt theaters eventually. Maybe not yet because it's not common enough but it might one day be.

Hell my projector and surround system looks and sounds at LEAST as good as the local theatets, i would actually say better in fact. And Neither the projector or the sound system were very expensive.

Granted the screen size is smaller so the projector doesn't have to do as much, but with the perspective of the room being smaller and being closer to the screen it "feels" the same.

Still though, there was always something cool about going to a cinema. Shame to see it dying out. Next time I have a movie party I might have trailers and such playing in the background before we start the movie just for fun.

So true... There is nothing like that warm, fantastic scent of popcorn the moment you enter the lobby!
 
D6gqgrN.jpg
 
When Regal announced their closures across the US for the remainder of the year I was positive any chance of watching a movie in the theaters was out. Then on my drive home from buying gas for the lawnmower I noticed there were cars at the AMC, which I thought had/was going under. Sure enough, the AMC is open. Now I have to decide if its worth the risk to go see TENET. Our local numbers are rising so I probably won't.
 
DigModiFicaTion said:
When Regal announced their closures across the US for the remainder of the year I was positive any chance of watching a movie in the theaters was out. Then on my drive home from buying gas for the lawnmower I noticed there were cars at the AMC, which I thought had/was going under. Sure enough, the AMC is open. Now I have to decide if its worth the risk to go see TENET. Our local numbers are rising so I probably won't.

You should go if you really want to see it... The theater experience is probably better than ever right now in terms of cleanliness, distractions, crowds, etcetera.
 
AMC worked out a deal to get a percent of VOD sales and something else.
our local AMC starts showing shows at 4pm and last showing is 10pm, so not open much
and there seating is limited.
 
jswert123456 said:
AMC worked out a deal to get a percent of VOD sales and something else.
our local AMC starts showing shows at 4pm and last showing is 10pm, so not open much
and there seating is limited.

Yeah, the open theaters in Austin initially were ready for business during regular hours, but have since scaled down to a part-time schedule akin to yours. It appears the damage done over the course of the last several months was harsher than anticipated.
 
Back
Top Bottom