• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

    Cast your vote for our WAVE 2 Tie-breaker's for 2023: MARCH// JUNE// SEPTEMBER// DECEMBER

Heat (1995) -The McCauley Cut

Dawnrazor

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
563
Reaction score
393
Trophy Points
73
My Next Edit is Heat (1995).
There's two Heat Edits on this site but mine will be a little different.
*The goal is to focus this Edit on Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro) and to change his fate 
*Keep scenes with the others to a minimal.
*Reduce the Running Time to around 2 hours with a higher pacing.
*A new Ending for McCauley


We will follow McCauley with his group of criminals and the meeting of his new girlfriend Eady.

Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino) is a hard working cop and spends very little time at home with his third wife Justine (Diane Venora) and stepdaughter Lauren (Natalie Portman).
Diane Venora & Natalie Portman have only one scene in this Edit at very the beginning.


The First Clip is the first 6 minutes of the edit
*Added Night shots of Los Angeles
*Removed love scene of Vincent and Justine
*Trimmed the Scene with Vincent, Justine and Lauren

Password: fanedit.org



 
This clip cuts from Neil at home to Vincent in the car over to Neil and Eady at the bookstore.
So this clip removes the scene with Chris and Charlene at home
and the scene with Vincent and Justine at home.

Original scenes runs 4min 40sec
Fanedit Version 1min 30sec

Password: fanedit.org

 
Dawnrazor said:
The First Clip is the first 6 minutes of the edit
*Added Night shots of Los Angeles
*Removed love scene of Vincent and Justine
*Trimmed the Scene with Vincent, Justine and Lauren

The editing here is pretty tight,. Your inclusion of the night shots was really nicely done but I have to question why you changed the title font. I also feel the titles placement is oddly off centre. Personally I feel it would look much better using the original title and font, as you have done with the other credits and adding a subtitle.
 
So this clip removes the scene with Chris and Charlene at home
and the scene with Vincent and Justine at home.

In both clips you choose to use a long fade transition. Is this intentional? It works better in the second scene as both scenes feature Al Pacino but the first clip you fade from Val Kilmer to Al Pacino in the shower and it doesn't work for me. I feel both would be better as a clean transition.
 
Malthus said:
Dawnrazor said:
The First Clip is the first 6 minutes of the edit
*Added Night shots of Los Angeles
*Removed love scene of Vincent and Justine
*Trimmed the Scene with Vincent, Justine and Lauren

The editing here is pretty tight,. Your inclusion of the night shots was really nicely done but I have to question why you changed the title font. I also feel the titles placement is oddly off centre. Personally I feel it would look much better using the original title and font, as you have done with the other credits and adding a subtitle.
 
So this clip removes the scene with Chris and Charlene at home
and the scene with Vincent and Justine at home.

In both clips you choose to use a long fade transition. Is this intentional? It works better in the second scene as both scenes feature Al Pacino but the first clip you fade from Val Kilmer to Al Pacino in the shower and it doesn't work for me. I feel both would be better as a clean transition.


Thanks for your input!
Yes I’m not really clear about the Font
Can’t really find a replace that looks right so I may use the original and put it back

I think the long transions worked better but I Will test to Do them cleaner

Thanks for your advices
I Will try them out
 
Dawnrazor said:
Updated Intro
Thanks Malthus for the feedback

Password: fanedit.org

That definitely looks a lot better. It occurs to me that you're using a double exposure to overlay the credits on panning shots of the city. As such the credits themselves are semi transparent. I wonder if you could increase the opacity to make the credits pop a little more. You could raise the brightness of the city shots to counter the increased darkness of the overlay. Alternatively you could export the credits as images and cut the words out using Gimp or photoshoot, save them as PNG files and rebuild the credits by overlaying the images of the text. This would avoid the opacity issue. Come to think of it if you did cut up the credits you could create an alphabet using the font so you subheading could be in the same font. Just a thought.
 
Malthus said:
Dawnrazor said:
Updated Intro
Thanks Malthus for the feedback

Password: fanedit.org

I that definitely looks a lot better. It occurs to me that you're using a double exposure to overlay the credits on panning shots of the city. As such the credits themselves are semi transparent. I wonder if you could increase the opacity to make the credits pop a little more. You could raise the brightness of the city shots to counter the increased darkness of the overlay. Alternatively you could export the credits as images and cut the words out using Gimp or photoshoot, save them as PNG files and rebuild the credits by overlaying the just the images of the text. This would avoid the opacity issue. Come to think of it if you did cut up the credits you could create an alphabet using the font so you subheading could be in the same font. Just a thought.

Thanks Malthus Well I will work a little more on that and see if I can improve it!
 
Dawnrazor said:
New Clip!

*The killing of Van Zant
*Added Night shots
*Vincent Hanna on the phone

Password: fanedit.org

https://vimeo.com/user104334629/review/437042860/e326d5b093[/video]
Nice stuff.
The audio transition to the night shot is well done.
The night shot itself feels a few seconds too long to me.
There is an odd "thump" noise on the cut from the night shot to Pacino.... not sure if that is part of the music or something from scene.
 
bionicbob said:
Dawnrazor said:
New Clip!

*The killing of Van Zant
*Added Night shots
*Vincent Hanna on the phone

Password: fanedit.org

https://vimeo.com/user104334629/review/437042860/e326d5b093[/video]
Nice stuff.
The audio transition to the night shot is well done.
The night shot itself feels a few seconds too long to me.
There is an odd "thump" noise on the cut from the night shot to Pacino.... not sure if that is part of the music or something from scene.

Thanks Bionicbob!
The thump noise could be both,have to check it out but I think it’s something in the music.
I Will also trim the Night shot.

Thanks for the feedback!
 
Updated clip!
*the killing of Van Zant
*Added Night shot (trimmed)
*Vincent on the phone (thump sound removed)

Thump sound came from the Vincent clip
Thanks Bionicbob for the feedback!

Password: fanedit.org


 
CT95iLS.jpg
 
I have a workprint uploaded on my cloud storage if anyone wants to preview this Edit.
it's 1h 55min but I may insert some other small scenes into this edit.
This workprint has only Stereo sound the final version will be in Full HD and 5.1

I will have a private test screening for some of my friends this week but if anyone here also wants to see this version just send me a PM.
 
I love the artwork for the two posters but I feel on the first one the Fanedit logo is to close to the bottom and on the second I feel it looks slightly odd being so high. Maybe it's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Workprint. I'll be happy to preview this for you.
 
Malthus said:
I love the artwork for the two posters but I feel on the first one the Fanedit logo is to close to the bottom and on the second I feel it looks slightly odd being so high. Maybe it's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Workprint. I'll be happy to preview this for you.

Thanks!
Well I guess you’re right
Will try to fix it
And Thanks for previewing the Edit!
It means alot!
 
Back
Top Bottom