• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cast your vote for our WAVE 2 Tie-breaker's for 2023: MARCH// JUNE// SEPTEMBER// DECEMBER

Return of the King - The Precious Edition

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DKLR3RK.jpg

I recently revived my RotK edit with all my new knowlegde. Title will be ' The war of the Ring Edition' or 'The Precious Edition' (not yet decided) for my two edits. It will come with an accompanying Two Towers edit. Not touching fellowship since it's perfect. All it needed was a color grade and other editors have already done a better job than I ever will.

I love this scene, but I hate how it ends. Aragorn is supposed to confront Sauron. Having him lose this battle of minds makes it strange that Sauron is even bothered with him.

Ah yes, a fan favorite. I don't like Gimli making a fool of himself. A dwarf shouldn't go down so easily. Also removed the fart and burp sounds.

The scene that started this edit: Saruman's Kamehameha is removed. I removed one line from Gandalf to prevent shot's being re-used. It's seamless and imo a ton better than the original over the top silly scene. Saruman is supposed to have ONLY his voice left. Him throwing a fireball ruins it.

Ah yes, Arwen.. Aragorn's beautiful eye candy. I always hated her 'dying because of the ring blabla'. It's STUPID. Anyone that thinks it's a good idea is a fool of a took. In the Two Towers daddy Elrond gives this EPIC speech of her never dying and roaming the lands if she choses him, and now she can die of.. sadness? Ew.

Removed it, and mentions of it. It gives Elrond agency and makes him a loving father respecting her choice in the end.

Would love feedback on this. I want to create a bit of a merge between the theatrical cut and the extended cut when it comes to the Tomb of the Dead.

Last edited:
Those changes are already huge improvements. I love the movies very very much, but they're not without faults. I'll be front of the line watch this edit when you're done :)

Good to hear! Any changes you dislike and why? Any suggestions for further edits to ROTK?
Probably just a me thing, but some of these more minor edits you've made are not necessary for the movie. I think its mostly because I already enjoy the movie so much, but more power to you if people like it more then I do. But edit wise, it was pretty clean and well done so I don't have issues with how it was done on that level.

Probably just a me thing, but some of these more minor edits you've made are not necessary for the movie. I think its mostly because I already enjoy the movie so much, but more power to you if people like it more then I do. But edit wise, it was pretty clean and well done so I don't have issues with how it was done on that level.
Oh I agree there, none of these edits 'have' to happen. The movie is an all time classic. That said, some story elements don't make sense and even contradict themselves (arwen dying) and does the movie really need fart jokes? (Gimli).

The only scene I'm still torn about is the skull avalanche. Do I tone it down, or remove it altogether. It's a bit too Indiana Jones-y for my taste.

Oh I agree there, none of these edits 'have' to happen. The movie is an all time classic. That said, some story elements don't make sense and even contradict themselves (arwen dying) and does the movie really need fart jokes? (Gimli).

The only scene I'm still torn about is the skull avalanche. Do I tone it down, or remove it altogether. It's a bit too Indiana Jones-y for my taste.
Um, I remember that heard that in theatrical cut they just removed it altogether. I've never seen the theatrical cut, but the way it was done was that it would create tension on if the ghosts would join them or not. It was from some random youtube video, but it did make a valid point actually.

Um, I remember that heard that in theatrical cut they just removed it altogether. I've never seen the theatrical cut, but the way it was done was that it would create tension on if the ghosts would join them or not. It was from some random youtube video, but it did make a valid point actually.
You've never seen the theatrical? I only saw them in the theatre but I always assume people start with those and then want more.

This is how I have the scene as of now. To keep a bit of tension, as you said. I removed the ghosts attacking the corsair ships because it ruins the surprise at the end when they help.

What source are you using for this edit? I do know that depending on what you use as a base, the visual quality for the trilogy is all over the place. Not necessarily bad, but the visual quality varies depending on the medium. This is somewhat discussed by Krausfadr in the Reddit post here:

I acknowledge this is probably way out of the scope for this edit because it likely would be far too time consuming to engage in visual editing.

As for plot edits, when you get to the ghost army, please just cut out right before the decision to join. It ruins the surprise later on.

I also see you intend to make Gimli a stronger character in part by, *gasp,* removing fart and burp sounds. I should have known given your history with The Dark Knight you would remove any sort of humor in these great movies. One day we can only hope you will end the #WarOnHumor. I may even be forced to type out my future posts all with the caps lock button on to show you how serious this matter is.

What source are you using for this edit? I do know that depending on what you use as a base, the visual quality for the trilogy is all over the place. Not necessarily bad, but the visual quality varies depending on the medium. This is somewhat discussed by Krausfadr in the Reddit post here:

I acknowledge this is probably way out of the scope for this edit because it likely would be far too time consuming to engage in visual editing.

As for plot edits, when you get to the ghost army, please just cut out right before the decision to join. It ruins the surprise later on.

I also see you intend to make Gimli a stronger character in part by, *gasp,* removing fart and burp sounds. I should have known given your history with The Dark Knight you would remove any sort of humor in these great movies. One day we can only hope you will end the #WarOnHumor. I may even be forced to type out my future posts all with the caps lock button on to show you how serious this matter is.
Yeah with the ghost, that's basically what the theatrical cuts do for the movie. They just added that extra part in the extended addition with mountain of skulls and stuff.

I think the problem is the shot of Aragorn watching the Corsair ships is just terrific though.

Obviously I will cut the part of the ghosts attacking the corsairs.

I will make a fart cut just for you! Who needs dialogue?! Farts!

I'm using the blurays. I dont like the 4k version at all. (except for the color) If a better source comes along I could always replace just the video part of it and match it. :)

Last edited:
I recently revived my RotK edit with all my new knowlegde.

I love this scene, but I hate how it ends. Aragorn is supposed to confront Sauron. Having him lose this battle of minds makes it strange that Sauron is even bothered with him.

Ah yes, a fan favorite. I don't like Gimli making a fool of himself. A dwarf shouldn't go down so easily. Also removed the fart and burp sounds.

The scene that started this edit: Saruman's Kamehameha is removed. I removed one line from Gandalf to prevent shot's being re-used. It's seamless and imo a ton better than the original over the top silly scene. Saruman is supposed to have ONLY his voice left. Him throwing a fireball ruins it.

Ah yes, Arwen.. Aragorn's beautiful eye candy. I always hated her 'dying because of the ring blabla'. It's STUPID. Anyone that thinks it's a good idea is a fool of a took. In the Two Towers daddy Elrond gives this EPIC speech of her never dying and roaming the lands if she choses him, and now she can die of.. sadness? Ew.

Removed it, and mentions of it. It gives Elrond agency and makes him a loving father respecting her choice in the end.

Would love feedback on this. I want to create a bit of a merge between the theatrical cut and the extended cut when it comes to the Tomb of the Dead.
I get what you mean about the battle of minds scene, maybe fade it out earlier at somepoint when Aragorn moves the sword directly in front of his face this way it makes it look like he's using it as both a shield and a weapon to counterattack Sauron and gives the impression that the battle of minds went on for much longer with neither side backing down leading to a longer struggle and stalemate.

I've always found it strange that Gimli won that little competition between him and Legolas in The Two Towers yet in Return Of The King he loses to Legolas in a drinking game if anything that should have been the other way around, I can't recall if it was that way in the books though I loved that you turned Gimli into a badass drinker.

Lol Saurman's Kamehameha as a Dragonball fan that joke made my day now I am just picturing him saying ''You fools this isn't even my final form'' as he than powers up to Super Saiyan 3 (Sayajin in Japanese) completely understand it's removal.

200% in agreement with you on the Arwen thing.

This is definitely an instance where the Extended Edition hurts the impact of the ships finally arriving at their destination, cutting out the undead king at the end would definitely benefit the scene more and maintain that balance along with most of the bleak and hopeless atmosphere while subtlely hinting how Aragorn's crew acquires those ships and makes the undead armies appearance later in the fight more of an impactful surprise restoring the power behind the impact of the ships arriving at the battlefield.

Last edited:
I get what you mean about the battle of minds scene, maybe fade it out earlier at somepoint when Aragorn moves the sword directly in front of his face this way it makes it look like he's using it as both a shield and a weapon to counterattack Sauron and gives the impression that the battle of minds went on for much longer with neither side backing down leading to a longer struggle and stalemate.

I've always found it strange that Gimli won that little competition between him and Legolas in The Two Towers yet in Return Of The King he loses to Legolas in a drinking game if anything that should have been the other way around, I can't recall if it was that way in the books though I loved that you turned Gimli into a badass drinker.

Lol Saurman's Kamehameha as a Dragonball fan that joke made my day now I am just picturing him saying ''You fools this isn't even my final form'' as he than powers up to Super Saiyan 3 (Sayajin in Japanese) completely understand it's removal.

200% in agreement with you on the Arwen thing.

This is definitely an instance where the Extended Edition hurts the impact of the ships finally arriving at their destination, cutting out the undead king at the end would definitely benefit the scene more and maintain that balance along with most of the bleak and hopeless atmosphere while subtlely hinting how Aragorn's crew acquires those ships and makes the undead armies appearance later in the fight more of an impactful surprise restoring the power behind the impact of the ships arriving at the battlefield.

I want to thank you for giving me a terrific idea!
Here's the Sauron/Aragorn standoff now. It takes Aragorn great strength to block Sauron, but he challenges him nonetheless!

I decided to keep the falling skulls, but remove the shots using CGI instead of practical skulls. Because I encountered this little bit:

I suppose as a boy [H. Rider Haggard's novel] "She" interested me as much as anything—like the Greek shard of Amyntas [Amenartas], which was the kind of machine by which everything got moving.
-Henry Resnick, "An Interview with Tolkien", Niekas, 1967.

"So far as I could judge, this pit was about the size of the space beneath the dome of St. Paul's in London, and when the lamps were held up I saw that it was nothing but one vast charnel-house, being literally full of thousands of human skeletons, which lay piled up in an enormous gleaming pyramid, formed by the slipping down of the bodies at the apex as fresh ones were dropped in from above. Anything more appalling than this jumbled mass of the remains of a departed race I cannot imagine, and what made it even more dreadful was that in this dry air a considerable number of the bodies had simply become desiccated with the skin still on them, and now, fixed in every conceivable position, stared at us out of the mountain of white bones, grotesquely horrible caricatures of humanity. In my astonishment I uttered an ejaculation, and the echoes of my voice, ringing in the vaulted space, disturbed a skull that had been accurately balanced for many thousands of years near the apex of the pile. Down it came with a run, bounding along merrily towards us, and of course bringing an avalanche of other bones after it, till at last the whole pit rattled with their movement, even as though the skeletons were getting up to greet us."
-She, H. Rider Haggard

Considering Tolkien likes the book 'She' and a similar thing happens in that, I will keep it as a little hommage to the book Tolkien liked. Not sure if that was Peter Jackson's intend, but if it was he is a genius.

Last edited:
It ends kinda abruptly, but I can understand what you're going for. Too bad you can't any more useful footage to extend the scene a bit longer because what you're trying to go for is actually pretty golden. At least with what your edit is trying to do.

The only thing I'd worry about is that maybe for some people it would come off as making some of these characters as too perfect, but as long as there some character flaws in there you should be fine.

The only thing I'd worry about is that maybe for some people it would come off as making some of these characters as too perfect, but as long as there some character flaws in there you should be fine.
Well a moment later he chops off the head of a diplomat so I'm not too worried lol. Plus it's litterally what happens in the books. He confronts Sauron through the Palantir and comes out on top.

This is reason I edited it: Aragorn needs to win for Sauron to even be intrigued by him. If Sauron wins the mind battle, why would he open the gates? This is what happens in the book:
'I have looked in the Stone of Orthanc, my friends.'
'You have looked in that accursed stone of wizardry!' exclaimed Gimli with fear and astonishment in his face. 'Did you say aught to - him? Even Gandalf feared that encounter.'
'You forget to whom you speak,' said Aragorn sternly, and his eyes glinted. 'What do you fear that I should say to him? Did I not openly proclaim my title before the doors of Edoras? Nay, Gimli, I am the lawful master of the Stone, and I had both the right and the strength to use it, or so I judged. The right cannot be doubted. The strength was enough - barely.'
He drew a deep breath. 'It was a bitter struggle, and the weariness is slow to pass. I spoke no word to him, and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my own will. That alone he will find hard to endure. Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for l showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him.'
I suppose I could cut him saying 'Behold the sword of Elendil' since he shouldn't say anything!

I love that, that's completely perfect; well done!
Thanks man! Luckily the sword shot is super slowmotion so there is no motion blur going on. If it wasn;t in slowmo it would have looked off. :D

Now something else is bothering me. I can completely cut this iconic shot :

9b696b60cfd8d42ff368d75556556126.jpg

Because they forgot to put in the dead Mouth of Sauron on the floor. But I also think the shot is gorgeous. Thoughts? Keep because of the pretty, or cut because of the visual inconsistency?

Back
Top Bottom