• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cast your vote for our WAVE 2 Tie-breaker's for 2023: MARCH// JUNE// SEPTEMBER// DECEMBER

The Thin Red Line: Abridged Edition

Zebedee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Thin Red Line: Abridged Edition

Original film name: The Thin Red Line
New film name: The Thin Red Line: Abridged Edition
Time needed for the edition: 3 Weeks
Original Runtime: 170 minutes (approx)
New Runtime: 129 minutes (approx)
Amount cut: 41 minutes

DVD Details: 2:35:1 Widescreen NTSC, English 5.1 Dolby Digital, Chapter Selection

Your intention for this fanedit: I consider The Thin Red Line to be a beautiful film. It is a film I hold in high esteem, yet it is a film that I seemingly don?t watch that often, possibly just twice in the last 5 years. So with the up most respect, I decided to attempt a fan edit, which would result in more frequent viewings, and to that end, I think I have achieved my aim. I have cut out 41 minutes of footage and brought the length of the film down to 2 hours and 9 minutes. All of the flashbacks to the soldiers wives has been cut and scenes I felt didn?t necessarily further the overall plot have been removed. The most significant changes are the beginning and end. The film arrives at the initial beach landings much quicker and the film ends with Witt being shot - thus, the pointless George Clooney cameo is removed. I believe that with the reduced runtime, lesser characters feel slightly more prominent, such as John Cusack.

I would never try to claim that this is a superior effort to Terrence Mallick, but I am very happy with the result.

This is currently being uploaded to Rapipshare and should be available within a 2 - 3 days.

thinred3d.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

nice! I think I need to create a War Movies category.

Upload to Rapidshare now complete:

also available via torrent

Ouch man, really, The Thin Red Line?
I love this film and, like you, do not watch it that often, not because its too long but the emotional impact is often to much to bear.
This is one of my favorite films of all time, and I must say, I am interested in your edit. I just do not think it is possible to improve upon perfection...
(I say this taking all of your comments into consideration, thank you for your time.)
PostScript - I'm not sure cutting Clooney is a wise decision, Sean Penn's reflections (narration) during that scene emphasize his condition in a state of becoming, a fitting and necessary coda to the film.

Just to clarify, like you, I don?t not watch it often because of length. I am eager to one day be able to see the much rumoured long cut with all the stars currently cut out.

This is simply an alternate look. A more straightforward war movie, but with still an emotional core. It?s just not as reflective. I have watched it twice this week and have to say, enjoyed it immensely, but possibly on a different level to the original.

I will still continue to watch the original, along with this one. So in no way do I see this as a total replacement (personally, althought others may do....), or insult to Terrence Mallick.

The way I understand it Malick cut that film down from 10+ hours and that he will mostly never release a longer cut. Unfortunate as it is, I think we're going to have to be satisfied with what we have...

RS on linktalk

I am interested in your edit and already have the Criterion Collection dvd of the film. How can I watch the fan-edit?

Back
Top Bottom