• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

    Vote now in FEOTM Reboot WAVE 2! MEGATHREAD

The X-Files: I Want To Believe (ThrowgnCpr edit)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,090
Reaction score
36
Trophy Points
133
It's been a while, and I meant to do this a long time ago, but here it is (just in time for the new series):

The X-Files: I Want To Believe

Less Xzibit. Less Teal. More better.

yRhFv43.jpg


This is a light edit, and I almost did it just for myself, but I knew there were a couple people who were interested in this.

cut list:

Minor regrade to the color to tone down the heavy orange-teal grading
Repaired some color-grading problems (like the green stop sign & purple hospital)
Trimmed helicopter meeting to reduce Xzibitness
Removed the presidents photo gag
Trimmed Scully's Google search on stem cell research
Trimmed agent Whitney's shaft fall to reduce bad CGI and improve pacing
Removed Scully calling Agent Drummy to ask for help
Removed Skinner saying he'll "Google it"
Restored theatrical credits (no cast and crew photos)
Complete replacement of credits audio and music
Modified credits to accommodate editing choices and music replacement


release info:

1080p MKV (online now, PM me for links)
NTSC DVD5 (online now, PM me for links)
BD25 (will only upload if there is interest)

special thanks to:
reave
Frantic Canadian
Zorzalita
Izzy & Jitters

color comparison:
C7j9KtU.jpg




DVD5 main menu:

9NKVAnt.jpg
 
Can confirm: is more better.
 
Nice color correction grading work! I like the subtlety of the changes and that you didn't mess up the skin tones in the indoors shots. Those snow shots look beautiful now! I might check this out, it's been a long time since I watched this movie and barely remember it. Indeed, this sounds like a good way to prep for the new episodes.
 
Neglify said:
Nice color correction grading work!

You caught me here! I decided to go with 'correction' for this case, but re-grade also applies. After diving into this movie, the color work was fascinating. They were early on in the teal/orange game, but the color is very intentional throughout the entire process. Almost every scene is filled with teal sets and props (not graded, IRL teal). It was very intentional. That said, they did push things a little too far in post, and a couple shots had some mistakes (teal stop sign, purple hospital). I tried to keep their intended palette, while pushing things a bit back to real life color and the intended bleakness of cold, snowy nights. Hopefully I struck a nice balance.
 
How do I download this looks good
 
TV's Frink said:
How do I download this looks good

Dearest Tv's Frink:

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.
 
reave said:
Can confirm: is more better.

I concur. Is much improved.

Neglify said:
I might check this out, it's been a long time since I watched this movie and barely remember it. Indeed, this sounds like a good way to prep for the new episodes.

It had been years since I watched the original movie myself, but I watched it in preparation for test viewing this edit and I enjoyed it a lot more than I did originally. This edit, while minimal, does drastically improve the entertainment value.
 
ThrowgnCpr said:
Dearest Tv's Frink:

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

:D

Uv kors, frink set this up poifectly.
 
The re-grade is beautiful mate! :)
 
Just finished it, huge improvement! Looks wonderful and a lot less Pimp My Ride dude.
 
I'm glad you enjoyed it, testingfazed. :)

I just uploaded the DVD5, and links have been sent off to info. Feel free to PM me in the meantime if you want to watch

XF_IWTB_menu_main_zpsln4vlzul.jpg~original
 
Trimmed Scully's Google search on stem cell research
Oh, Jesus Christ, THANK YOU! Single dumbest moment in a movie EVAR.
 
theslime said:
Oh, Jesus Christ, THANK YOU! Single dumbest moment in a movie EVAR.


haha, that scene is still there, but I removed the shots of her running a google search. Now it just looks like she is working on her computer.
 
Having watched the official version of this movie last week before the premiere, I didn't watch the edit by ThrowgnCpr all the way: I only skipped to the changed scenes.

From what I've seen, the picture quality is a 10/10 and the color grading is a very welcome improvement. I even think there could still be a little less teal.

The editing is seamless, except for the scene where the George W Bush joke has been cut. Agent Pimp My Ride starts to open the door, but as soon as we cut to the inside of the room, Mulder and Scully enter first. Also, the cameo by the actress who played Samantha Mulder has been cut, which I was disappointed by, since I love these subtle easter eggs for the fans (but that won't confuse first-time viewers).

I'm a big fan of the remix of the theme, but even I thought the new end credits music was very fitting and a great choice. Good job!
 
thebutcher said:
The editing is seamless, except for the scene where the George W Bush joke has been cut. Agent Pimp My Ride starts to open the door, but as soon as we cut to the inside of the room, Mulder and Scully enter first.

I could see where this could be an issue, but who's to say Xzibit didn't hold the door for them? The last shot is of him swiping his keycard before the scene change to meeting room interior. It seems perfectly plausible that he could swipe his card and open the door for them. That's not to say that's what happened, and I'm not going to argue what the viewer may or may not perceive. Perhaps it doesn't work for others as well. But hopefully the cut is still worth it in the long run.

Glad you enjoyed it overall. Thanks for the comments :)
 
ThrowgnCpr said:
I could see where this could be an issue, but who's to say Xzibit didn't hold the door for them? The last shot is of him swiping his keycard before the scene change to meeting room interior. It seems perfectly plausible that he could swipe his card and open the door for them. That's not to say that's what happened, and I'm not going to argue what the viewer may or may not perceive. Perhaps it doesn't work for others as well. But hopefully the cut is still worth it in the long run.

Glad you enjoyed it overall. Thanks for the comments :)

You're welcome! And you're right, it's barely noticeable and open to interpretation if you don't know it's coming. I think I was thrown off by the "Samantha" cameo being cut as well. Was there a specific reason why you removed it? I think keeping it would have given the right amount of time for Xzibit to open the second door without having to match-cut to them going inside.
 
thebutcher said:
You're welcome! And you're right, it's barely noticeable and open to interpretation if you don't know it's coming. I think I was thrown off by the "Samantha" cameo being cut as well. Was there a specific reason why you removed it? I think keeping it would have given the right amount of time for Xzibit to open the second door without having to match-cut to them going inside.

It just didn't fit with the other cuts. The sequence of shots from when they enter the building to when they entered the meeting room had to be kept in a nice flow. I cut a bit more there than just the shot of the presidential photo gag to keep the flow going (now it infers that there is a single door, not two different doors).
 
Updated the first post to fix broken image links.

Also, thanks for the review @"Yawyack"!
 
Back
Top Bottom