• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

    Vote now in FEOTM Reboot WAVE 2! MEGATHREAD

Twilight Zone meets Classic Trek!

The Warlord

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
357
Reaction score
69
Trophy Points
43
Currently in the works, a fan edit altering a classic Trek episode into a Twilight Zone Original Series episode. Episode in question: 'Spectre of the Gun'. 

Synopsis :

In the time of the space age, a future ship's crew lands on a planet on a mission of peaceful first contact. The distrusting inhabitants, however, punish the spacemen for their intrusion, by recreating a famous Western gunfight, with the men forced to take on the roles of the ill-fated cowboys. 

The following has been done :
Original footage edited down to 30 mins with a post-titles teaser and 1 x commercial break
Converted entirely into monochrome
Original TZ season one opening titles in place of the original 
All opening/closing credits for the original episode now in the opening of Act I. 
End credits are left in tact, but with TZ season three closing music, and sped up to fit in with the TZ music
Several of Serling's narrations edited together, for both opening and closing: 'The Little People'/'Elegy' (Teaser), 'The Gift' /'The Shelter' (Closing) 
Beyond minor trims throughout the story, the notable ones are as follows, all done largely for timing reasons :
The entire opening bridge scene and Melkot buoy subplot. 
Kirk's attempts to temper the situation with both the Earps and the sheriff. 
McCoy encountering Doc Holliday for the first time
The original close of Act II is the commercial break.
 
Sounds like a great idea!

The minimalist western stage setting and unusual storyline certainly lends itself well to being edited into a Twilight Zone episode.

Good luck with the project.  :)
 
This sounds awesome! If this edit works well, do you think there's potential for more crossovers with these two shows or is this the only one you want to do? Either way, looking forward to how this turns out!
 
I would love to do more, but I don't know how many more would work... 

Maybe City on the Edge of Forever, perhaps... 

But I can't think of many more....?
 
First cut should be ready soon. PM if interested.
 
Video available to watch on Vimeo. Any interested parties, please let me know.
 
The most Twilight Zone-y episode of TOS has got to be "Charlie X". It basically is a Twilight Zone episode. In fact, you might even be able to fine a Rod Serling intro to cut it with. Not sure how you'd get it down to 30 minutes though. Maybe a two-parter?
 
The Warlord said:
Video available to watch on Vimeo. Any interested parties, please let me know.

Vimeo videos can be embedded in your posts. You may get more interest by sharing it that way. Just make sure to disable the download option.
 
First of all, I can't believe how great TOS look in B&W. It almost gives the show more gravitas than the typically brightly-colour fare on offer. 

As for the edit, they were nearly seamless. The only thing I wasn't sure about was how the crew of the starship knew the name of the species of alien that had captured them.

The Serling voiceover was great. I would have liked to see Rod somehow, though I know that didn't happen in every episode. The TZ intro tells me this is an early season episode, but I don't remember TZ using those huge credit overlays. And you might want to apply some kind of filter to those credits, too. They look too sharp compared with the other text in the episode. This treatment is absolutely terrific. I want to see the rest of the episode now!!

Please let me know when it's ready. Then I'll re-watch the original TOS episode for comparison.

Seems like a pretty low-fuss edit. Once the episode gets rolling it looks like all you did was desaturate. If you did more than that I sure couldn't tell.

Really solid. Nicely done.
 
Catspaw or even And The Children Shall Lead could work as a TZ episode. Also The Man Trap or Where No Man Has Gone Before?

Have you seen the original Planet Of The Apes edited as a TZ episode? Was done many years ago.
 
DigModiFicaTion said:
The Warlord said:
Video available to watch on Vimeo. Any interested parties, please let me know.

Vimeo videos can be embedded in your posts. You may get more interest by sharing it that way. Just make sure to disable the download option.
Thanks for that! Here are links to parts 1 and 2. The download function is not enabled on my account, as I have the basic free account :




Please let me know what you think :)

Thanks.
 
Edit submitted to the Academy. Thread moved to the twilight zone pending.
 
Conrad MacIntyre said:
First of all, I can't believe how great TOS look in B&W. It almost gives the show more gravitas than the typically brightly-colour fare on offer. 

As for the edit, they were nearly seamless. The only thing I wasn't sure about was how the crew of the starship knew the name of the species of alien that had captured them.

The Serling voiceover was great. I would have liked to see Rod somehow, though I know that didn't happen in every episode. The TZ intro tells me this is an early season episode, but I don't remember TZ using those huge credit overlays. And you might want to apply some kind of filter to those credits, too. They look too sharp compared with the other text in the episode. This treatment is absolutely terrific. I want to see the rest of the episode now!!

Please let me know when it's ready. Then I'll re-watch the original TOS episode for comparison.

Seems like a pretty low-fuss edit. Once the episode gets rolling it looks like all you did was desaturate. If you did more than that I sure couldn't tell.

Really solid. Nicely done.
Great, thank you so much for watching and commenting! 

The edit you saw is near enough ready, so I've submitted the edit to the Academy to see if there's anything else I need to do technically, to improve the video, for it to be officially on the website. 

Jon
 
Thanks guys for all your suggestions about other TOS episodes! Once this one is polished off, I may knuckle down to another! :)
 
I'm happy to say that this edit is approved.




I agree with @"Conrad MacIntyre" about roughing up the credits a little bit, they are a bit too clean but this is not necessary for approval. This is a light edit, but it works. The stitched together voiceover works, the added musical stings, it feels like a TZ episode. Removing the why hurts the episode a bit, but it still plays like a random TZ setup, for sure. Star Trek looks spectacular in B&W. Great idea, executed well. I hope you do more of these.
 
Congratulations. Romulan ale will be served in the mess hall. Thread moved.
 
Thanks guys! 

DLC has been submitted to Info, PM me if you can't find it. 

:) 
 
I know this is already listed on IFDB but did you think about adding any Rod Serling voiceovers?
 
asterixsmeagol said:
I know this is already listed on IFDB but did you think about adding any Rod Serling voiceovers?

I sure did! I use pieces of voiceovers for both the opening and closing :)
 
Hi There,
I am intrigued by your Film & would love to check out Twilight Zone: Invitation to a Shoot-Out
Stacey
 
Back
Top Bottom